Every day, the STARS Emergency Link Centre monitors thousands of remote sites, and in doing so, improves emergency preparedness for organizations working in remote locations. In the event of an emergency at a remote site, one call connects you to a STARS Communication Specialist who immediately begins to coordinate a medical response.
STARS works in partnership with a range of agencies and first responders to ensure that the most appropriate response is activated. During a medical or trauma incident, an on-call STARS Referral Emergency Physician can be consulted to determine the best mode of transport for the patient, including locating the most appropriate receiving hospital.
Using a neighbours-helping-neighbours philosophy, our site registration program allows us to be aware of nearby sites that may have resources available to provide immediate medical support until first responders are able to arrive on scene. The STARS Communication Specialist will coordinate all requests for assistance from surrounding sites.
Fees for site registration
In most cases, STARS bills the leaseholder for site registration services, unless other arrangements are made (by the registering company) when the site is registered.
There are three types of sites that can be registered with STARS.
Temporary site ($6 per day per location)
- The work/activity has a start/end date.
- The site number can be moved from location to location.
- Examples of temporary sites includes upstream oil and gas activity, construction, small pipeline projects, etc.
Permanent site ($150 per year)
- The location is fixed and will never change.
- Examples of permanent sites includes gas plants, compressor stations, batteries, mines, etc.
Large Pipeline and Electrical projects
- Quoted on a project-by-project basis.
Site registration fees help to recoup the operating costs of the STARS Emergency Link Centre.
How to register a site
- Call the STARS Emergency Link Centre at 1-888-888-4567 to register, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Complete the Site Registration template (Microsoft Excel spreadsheet) located in the Links section in the left margin of this page, and email to email@example.com. Once your site is registered, the spreadsheet will be emailed back to you, complete with your new site number in column ‘A’.
Please note: this option is for new site registrations, and works during business hours only.
- For pipeline and electrical projects, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details, and a general description of your project, including start date.
The STARS Emergency Link Centre is not a replacement for 9-1-1 services or onsite medical services. Registering your site with the STARS Emergency Link Centre complies with Occupational Health & Safety Guidelines, but does not replace the OH&S requirement for a Transportation Plan. It also does not guarantee that STARS, or any other helicopter, will fly to your location. This decision is based on location, severity of injuries, weather and aircraft availability.