Hometown: Fernie, B.C.
For two weeks straight, Sebastian Fraser complained of an earache and neck pain. His parents figured the four year old was injured while swimming during a busy summer vacation and took him to the family doctor. Despite several more doctor visits and physiotherapy sessions the boy’s pain remained a mystery. His parents, Christina and Kevin Fraser grew increasingly concerned.
Soon, Sebastian’s outgoing and bubbly personality changed as the boy was in constant pain and having difficulty breathing. He lost interest in playing.
On Aug. 10, 2012, exasperated medical staff sent Sebastian and his family from Fernie to Cranbrook Regional Hospital in B.C. for further tests. There, doctors found an abscess in his neck though a CT scan. It was rare toxic bacterium, half the size of a golf ball and pushing on his trachea.
“Once the doctors realized what it was we were in panic mode,” said Christina. “An hour after the CT scan, STARS was there to pick him up. We couldn’t believe how quickly the helicopter came.”
While STARS flew Sebastian to Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary, a nurse from Cranbrook kept in touch with Christina, offering assurance that her son was safe and in good hands. Christina stayed home with the couple’s nine-month-old daughter while Kevin hopped in the truck and drove to Calgary.
By 11 p.m. that same day Sebastian was ready for surgery.
“He wasn’t even old enough to understand was surgery was but he was very strong and brave,” said Christina.
Not long after Sebastian’s ordeal, the Frasers visited the Calgary base and met with some of Sebastian’s crew.
“We just wanted to say thank you,” said Christina. “It’s great to know STARS was there for us.”
Recently, Sebastian stole the show in the hangar when he posed for our calendar photo shoot.
As you can tell from his portrait, Sebastian has fully recovered.