STARS News Release
STARS and Winnipeg Firefighters partner to reduce ATV injuries
May 17, 2016
Winnipeg, MB - Media are invited to a demonstration helicopter landing and mock rescue of an injured ATV rider at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday May 18, in a wooded area next to the STARS base at 155 West Hangar Road. The event is meant to focus public attention on ATV safety in advance of May long weekend.
• STARS’ patient Maranda Lanouette, who was critically injured while riding an ATV, will be available to interview with media about her experience.
• Winnipeg firefighters have just completed landing zone training and will practice their skills as part of this exercise.
• Last year STARS responded to 107 serious ATV related emergencies across the Prairie region, including 18 ATV incidents in Manitoba.
• STARS has already responded to six ATV emergencies in spring 2016 in Manitoba.
• Enns Brothers is supplying an ATV to be used for this demonstration.
The event will be postponed or cancelled if the STARS crew is dispatched on an emergency call.
Communications Lead, Manitoba
155A West Hangar Road
Winnipeg, MB R3J 3Z1
1-866-300-6646 (Outside Winnipeg)